The American Restoration Movement
Churches of Christ are Distinct from the Disciples of Christ / Christian Church, Mormans and otherss
Churches of Christ were never "unioned" with the Disciples of Christ and made that known in the first census in 1906: the
Christian Churches under the NACC finally rejected the Disciples in 1971.
The American Restoration Movement Texts and Photos believes
"In essentials, unity, in doubtful matters, liberty; in all things charity." Attributed to Augustine.Most Restoration Movement Resources attacked by the Bolgging community would be rejected by both Churches of Christ and Christian Churches.
The American Restoration Movement is perhaps deliberately confused by the Stone-Campbell Movement--a Disciples of Christ concept. Restorationism was a common impulse after the American Revolution and its Constitutions which ended the period from the first settlement and especially impacted by the First Great American Awakening which linked to the tail end of dominant clergy and witchcraft. This ended with 321 new sectarian division mostly Baptists: there are still about 156 distinct Baptist Denominations.
What is known as the American Restoration Movement involved such divergent groups as the Mormons, The Stoneite movement which birthed what became the Disciples-Christian Churches which tagged along with the so-called apocalyptic movement begun by the Millerites and prompted the disciples to found a society to go "save the Jews to enable the return of Jesus." The other, radically different, movement continued John Calvin's urge to Restore the Church of Christ. This included simply removing the superstitious appendages of Catholicism such as the use of Instrumental music. This was continued by the Campbells beginning in attempts to reform the Presbyterians. Therefore, that group now called The Christian Church and what became The Churches of Christ do not spring from the same roots and should not be donfused.
- A HUMBLE EXHORTATION
- SERIOUSLY TO UNDERTAKE THE TASK OF RESTORING THE CHURCH. For where can I exert myself to better purpose or more honestly, where, too, in a matter at this time more necessary, than in attempting, according to my ability, to aid the Church of Christ, whose claims it is unlawful in any instance to deny, and which is now in grievous distress, and in extreme danger.
But there is no occasion for a long preface concerning myself. Receive what I say as you would do if it were pronounced by the united voice
of all those who either have already taken care to restore the Church,
or are desirous that it should be restored to true order.
The American Restoration Movement saw the church as established by Jesus Christ. That was as a SCHOOL OF CHRIST as indeed the ekklesia is ONLY a school of the Bible. Everything which has been added to the ideal of the Declaration and Address which defined community learning centers has sowed discord.
The Name of the Body of Christ
Lots of fussy people make too much of the notion that the church does not have a name and that is true: to say "church of Christ" means an assembly devoted to Christ and the Christian documents as opposed to the "church of Plato" devoted to the study and contemplation of Plato.
- > Clement of Alexandria: The original church of Christ and Baptism
- Alexander Campbell: The Bath of Regeneration and the Holy Spirit
- > Original church of Christ view of Eating Flesh and Drinking Blood
Prelude to Cane Ridge & The First Great American Awakening
Nothing happens in a vacuum. Therefore, it is important to look at the overwhelming fear and superstition which existed on "the wild frontier."
- David Hume - Superstition - Enthusiasm
- John Wesley - Enthusiasm - Revivalism
- Second Great Awakening - Speaking in Tongues - Musical Worship
- Great American Awakening or Witchcraft Act Two?
- Women's Radicalization of Religion
- John Winthrop Of Liberty and Authority
- Robert Calef, Warning to Ministers About Witchcraft
- Robert Calef, More Wonders Invisible World
- Robert Calef, Explanations of Confessions
- Deodat Lawson - A Brief And True Narrative
- Great American Awakening Charles Chauncy
- John Wesley - Death of George Whitfield
- Charles Chauncy Against Revivalism
Effect of Revivalism
Slavery and Revivalism - RM Did not divide over war or slavery!
The churches of Christ were part of the few groups which did not split over slavery or rather their perception of slavery:Alexander Campbell The Gift of The Holy Spirit 9.29.10
- Did Alexander Campbell Endorse the Baptist Church? -
- Sermon on the Law
- Trinity: A. Campbell, Barton W. Stone, Walter Scott
- Campbell John Locke - Spirituality
- Musical Worship:
- Instrumental Music
- Baptismal Regeneration
- Unitarianism and The Trinity Refuted
- Campbell, Alexander - Trinity
- Campbell, Alexander - Barton W. Stone - Walter Scott on The Spirit
- One use of Monarchy of Israel as authority for Christian Restoration
Calvinism in the Church
- # 1: David Lawrence of David Lipscomb on predestinaion Number One.
- # 2: A Look at Galatians 3 on PREDESTINATION to a system of FAITH like Abraham who was justified because he obeyed all of God's commands and decrees.
- #3: David Lawrence: Predestination Acts 11:8 and 2 Timothy 2
- Thomas Campbell's DECLARATION AND ADDRESS
- Holy Spirit: Agent of Conversion
- Baptism For the remission of sins
- Leroy Garrett distorts
- Baptism as an Acts of Worship
- Direct Operation of The Holy Spirit
- Campbell, Thomas Holy Spirit - A circular letter
- Thomas Campbell and Alexander Campbell The Spirit
- Worship in Spirit and in Truth
- Evangelist in the Restoration Movement
- Worship in Spirit Must be Restored
Cartwright, Peter some notes on a Methodist perspective.
Instrumental Music in Worship 11.01.05
- A Letter of Toleration
- Definition of Heresy, Schism (Sectarianism) - John Locke
- Reasonableness of Christianity
- John Locke - A. Campbell - Spirituality -
- John Locke - Jonathan Edwards - A. Campbell
- Liberal Interpretation Of John Locke
Kurfees, M. C. Instruments were rejected by Calvinist Reformers.
McGarvey, J. W. was forced out in later years by instruments.James O'Kelly "Methodist" replaced "Episcopal" in Virginia around the time of the Revolutionary war. The movement began as the Christian Church South and is acknowledged as the fountain along with Cane Ridge for the Disciples and perhaps some more conservative Christian churches.
Cane Ridge and Other Events
- David Hume - Superstition - Enthusiasm - Background
- John Wesley - Enthusiasm - Cane Ridge Background -
- Red River to Cane Ridge CR#1
- Second Great American Awakening summary calvin
- Cane Ridge and Sectarianism CR#2
- Cane Ridge and Babylonian Parallels CR#3
- Leroy Garrett #4
- Musical Teams
- Presbyterian Background
- American Restoration Movement Began?- Leroy Garrett
- Witchcraft - Revivalism - Great Awakening
Memoirs of Alexander Campbell, Volume II-X on Mormonism--Its exposure--Co-operation--Evangelists--Infidelity--Work of the Holy Spirit--Divisions-- Meeting-houses-- Worship-- Slavery. Showing that it was not the Reformers who broke away from the Baptists but were expelled by them
Memoirs of Alexander Campbell, Volume II-XII Mr Meredith convinced by Campbell about baptism. Continued sectarianism among Baptists.
Experimental Religion Walter Scott is the authority for teaching a direct indwelling of the Holy Spirit. However, Walter Scott defines the Holy Spirit as, 1) God Who is the Holy Spirit and 2) Our spirits made holy by faith and obedience.
On Election or Predestination 10/01/04
On the Trinity 10/01/04
The Holy Spirit and Trinity rejected Catholic trinity but were not Unitarians.
Instrumental Music InnovationAt least four times in the Old Testament, instrumental music is connected to the clear statement: "Depart from us we do not want to hear any more from God." These are Job 21:7-14; Isa 5:11-13; Amos 5:21-24; 6:1-7; 8:10-13; Ezekiel 33:30-32.
Instrumental Music in the Era of the Beginning of the American Restoration Movement
Contemporary Attack Upon Non-Musical ChurchesWhile Stone-Campbell churches come out of the same era as churches of Christ there is a difference primarily with how the different groups understand Scripture. DeGroot defines the Disciples as a church because it is, like Catholicism, a "living church" with the interpretation of the Bible based on the needs of the culture. There is no urge to listen to Paul because Paul is perceived as having a "faulty theology." This is why Paul can be ignored about women in ministry and the mode of singing the Biblical text.
Because the authority and history is "living," being faithful to biblical or historical facts are superseded by the needs of the time or argument.
The following articles are a review of The Restoration Principle by Alfred T. DeGroot which uses the church "Fathers" to reject the Restoration Movement Principle and the authority of the letters of the Apostles. All defend the authority of Scripture as delivered and denounce instrumental music or any theatrical performance as idolatry and totally inconsistent with a spiritual worship.
- The Restoration Principle: Clement: Eliminate Musical Instruments
- The Restoration Principle: Clement: Repudiation of Custom or Tradition
- The Restoration Principle and Clement of Alexandria - Alfred T. DeGroot
- The Restoration Principle and Clement The Instructor - Alfred T. DeGroot
- The Restoration Principle and Lactantius - Alfred T. DeGroot - A Review
- The Restoration Principle and Cyprian - Alfred T. DeGroot - A Review
- The Restoration Principle and Justin Martyr - Alfred T. DeGroot - A Review
- The Restoration Principle and Tertullian - Alfred T. DeGroot - A Review
- Rubel Shelly - A Call to Action: Review. Abilene Christian University
- Rubel Shelly Attack on Non-Instrumental Groups
Defining non-musical churches as traditionalists
- Edward Fudge GracEmail A Cappella just Tradition?
- Defining non-musical churches as judgmental
- Edward Fudge and the Guilt Clause
- Misuse of church Fathers
- Richard Gooch - Clergy Dangerous to Women
- Shepherd of Hermes, Professional Prophets, False Preachers
- Preachers, DIDACHE, Prophets, Pay
- PROFESSIONAL Preacher in the American Restoration Movement
- J. D. Tant Located Preachers Firm Foundation 1934 -
- Gospel Advocate Apology to J. D. Tant
- Reading the Word not Preaching in the American Restoration Movement T. Campbell
- Daniel Sommers Preachers must be Sent out
- Inquisition Dostoevsky and Preacher Clergy
- Evangelists in American Restoration Movement Thomas Campbell
- Diotrephes Pastors or Ministry Elders
- R. L. Dabney on Preaching -
- Preaching as Performance
- Dominant Clergy - Tests For
- Paleo Paganism and its Clergy -
Restoring Music and Restoring the Sabbath (Saturn)
- Sabbath worship (as opposed to rest) began in Babylon. - Saturn was the father of the gods. Rhea (Eve, Zoe) was his musical consort .
- Center for American Rest. Movement Studies
- Churches of Christ On the Web
- Churches of Christ on the Web fast
- Other Churches of Christ on the Internet
- Churches, WorldWide Directory of
- Churches of Christ
- Web pages in Texas
- International Churches of Christ data
- American Rest. Movement Links
- Historic Bethany
- Barton W. Stone Campbell American Rest. Movement Resources
- Electronic Texts by Earlier Writers
This page contains: The American Restoration Movement, The restoration movement, The new testament church, churches of Christ, Hohenwald, Kenneth Sublett, Walter Scott, Daniel Sommer, Thomas Campbell, J.W. McGarvey, Rubel Shelly, Cane Ridge Meeting House, Second Great American Awakening, Stone-Campbell, Barton W. Stone, Patternism, Cane Ridge, instrumental music, Alfred T. DeGroot, Alexander Campbell, James O'Kelly, Instrumental music in worship.
Home...Apocalyptic...Apocryphal...Awakening...Caneridge...Colonial...Baptism.....Church....Godhead....MaxLucado ...Lynn.Aderson...Musical Worship...Preaching...Restoration...RubelShelly...Search Our Site... Tongues...Topical...
Counter added at count 30500 moved to piney-2.com 3.14.05 01.14.07 7820
10.17.05 3p 1039
12.04.05 1:13p 2699
6.02.07 3624 1.19.10 16540 6.16.12 22335